January 12, 2009

Not so Great Day for Up

Dear Hailey,

I am sorry that you were so sad tonight. Your blanky went bye bye and your light doesn't work anymore.

You see, that is what happens when you spend a month wondering the halls at night rather than sleeping, when you continually interrupt mom and dads precious sleepy time.

We talked about the rules a lot this week and yet you seemed to think it was still OK to turn your light on bright and leave your room for thousands of silly reasons.

So, yes I, the meanest mommy in the world, took away your blanky and rigged the switch so the light won't turn on. Then as you cried and whined and even screamed a little, I silently led you back to your bed and left your room - over and over and over and over again...until about 25 minutes later you sang yourself the bubble bubble song and went to sleep.

I have a feeling I will see you around 10 and maybe again around 12 - quite possibly around 4- and I don't expect it to be very pleasant...and I figure it will go on for a few more days but something also tells you might learn to stay in your bed unless you have to use the restroom, are sick or heaven forbid, you are bleeding.

So, Again, I know you are sad and your blanky is gone and your light won't turn on but honey we need some sleep and something had to wake you up!

Mom and Dad

12 comments:

Becky said...

Tough love. Good luck and I hope you get some sleep.

Allison said...

Good Luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Krape Family said...

I love your title. That is a favorite book around this place. My little guy was up at 12, then 3, then 5 last night. I feel your pain and hope it all gets better soon for both of us.

Grams said...

Thinking about you.....not an easy thing to do....it will work.

thecasualperfectionist.com said...

Oh no!! Good luck!! (I know it doesn't make it feel any better, but this is probably harder on you than it is Hailey.) :)

The Bailey Family said...

Oh Terra...does it ever end? I'm struggling with the sleep thing too! It will stick -eventually-

Anonymous said...

Yes, sad as it is, that will work. sometimes it can take a couple weeks, I hope for your sleep or your daughters sleep it will only last a year days. Rigged the light? How did you do that? I SO need that trick ;-)

((HUGS))

Kim said...

Oh boy.. sounds like we are in the same stage.. my little man will not stay put in his bed.. sigh

Kim H. said...

Girlfriend, I totally know where you're coming from. Except since hubby is living in another state right now, I have a PERMANENT nighttime friend - and no, it's not ideal, but this Mommy's gotta do what she can to get some decent sleep.

I'm so going to be here though when I have to take away the plug - the dreaded pacifier - yes, I know she's 3 and I have to get her off of it, but right now I just don't have the heart to do it, especially with Daddy being gone and her whole little world is already confusing enough.

At any rate, hang in there - like the great Dr. Ferber says, it'll get better. Old habits are hard to break.

I'm praying for you, girl!

whoopsadasie said...

Been there...done that...got that t-shirt! Hang in there!

Courtney said...

ah there's no way you are the meanest mommy! how did the night go?

Terra said...

It is always so nice to know you are not alone, you always figure your not alone, you assume others have been there done that but when you read it it somehow helps to give you more strength to keep going. I updated her progress, slow as it may be....but our actions did help as the last 2 nights she has only blessed us with her smiling face in the middle of the night one or two times rather than 12.