May 28, 2009

WARNING BABY BIRDS ARE NOT CUTE

On the back patio, supremely sheltered from the weather

Is a nest, and in that nest is a bird
I would love to get a peek at this mama's little eggs. We are pretty certain she is a Robin and they have the prettiest little eggs!


But she is a very protective mom, even an air horn wouldn't send her from her nest! Maybe we will get lucky and get to meet her babies when they hatch?
We got lucky - They hatched Saturday night (well, all but one) and the Mama is leaving her nest often BUT it is really hard to get the camera up there to get pictures - and I am terrified that she is going to fly in and peck at my head while I am on the ladder....


Glad no one thought to take a picture of me taking a picture of the babies because that would have been a site about as pretty as that baby.

16 comments:

Justin Matott said...

Now, do you know about Diaper bundles and robins??? Oh man, all those huge splats you see is the momma flying encapsulated diaper bundles of bird gunk out of the nest and dive bombing them... We had one on our front porch last year and I swear she tried to hit the dog and cat every day on purpose. She is now near my back porch, see today's blog...

SouthernDogwoods said...

Terra, You sound just like me with our Momma Brown Thrasher bird. I so want to see the babies upclose but I know she will peck me!

Unknown said...

I almost stepped on a baby bluejay yesterday now thats a mom you don't want to make mad.

Anonymous said...

hehe I would have loved to see you up there trying to take a picture!!

Unknown said...

What a great shot! I would have broken my neck trying to do it!

Kim H. said...

Terra, OH MY GOSH, last summer we had a mamma robin nest on the security system box outside our dining room window and I was dying to get a peek too -- so I did exactly what you did and set up the ladder. Climbed up real quick, snapped a picture, then ran for fear of getting my eyes pecked out.

I was bummed when she didn't come back to nest there again this year -- but today I saw my hummingbird twice in my garden! Yea! They came back!

Kelly Polark said...

Are your girls loving the birds' nest and baby bird? Brave pics!

Cheryl Lage said...

SO the Ugly Duckling personified, Baby Robins aren't they? But gosh, the blue of that shell...stunning!

Tweet, Tweet! (and I don't mean Twitter!)

Allison said...

Whoa! That is one ugly baby bird, but the egg shell makes up for it in beauty. Kudos to your for getting that brave shot!

Lori said...

Ugh! Looks dead! I would have freaked out. Good for you!

Candi said...

yuck, is it even alive? You are right, not cute at all.

Becky said...

Looks like something from a science fiction movie - a very SCARY science fiction movie!

Bonnie said...

Arn't all babies cute?? I laughed thinking about you climbing up there real fast probably all contorted to get a picture... What did the girls say? Were they surprised about how they looked?

Jenni said...

Baby birds ARE a bit creepy at first...but they cute-n up soon!

Laura said...

I know I'm supposed to say awwww nature is so beautiful and grand....and it is as a whole.
Creation is amazing.
Baby birds?
Scary.

Wendy said...

Okay, maybe in a few more days those babies will be cute...

Glad you didn't break your neck!