May 16, 2009

Maybe she should walk the plank...

Friday we got to enjoy Lauren's spring program at school. It was grades 1 through 5 and they did a pirates musical. Since the music teacher does all the school plays they are usually very musical and the kids do a great job.
They do two plays a year, we have been their for 4 years (8 plays) and that same music teacher is also very good at picking the same kids to have the lead roles season after season -
When the same lead role players were announced for this play Lauren said to me "I don't know why Mrs. Music Teacher doesn't trust me enough to memorize my lines and have a real role in the plays".
Lauren has an AMAZING memory, it has nothing to do with trusting her to memorize her lines. I felt bad for Lauren.
As you all know Lauren was a Mini Purple Beard for this play and we made her a beard and put together a decent costume too! Though, we were using the headband to hold on the visor AND to cover up the fact that it was a visor. I talked to said music teacher the day before the play and explained the costume and told her I would be at school early to help Lauren get it all together right and she smiled, and she humored me and told me how cute it sounded and then she told the kids at rehearsal that day that they...

and I quote...

"Are not 4 years old and you don't need your mommies to help you get dressed, their will be no parents in the dressing rooms"

Now, I have been known to say things similar to this to my children in a not so proud mommy moment...but I DO NOT expect teachers to speak to my children this way - especially since Lauren was with me that morning when I spoke to the teacher and then she had to listen to this.
Lauren is a bright little girl, she reads people well and she knows when someone is not so good. In this particular case Lauren asked me "Mrs. Music teacher shouldn't tell us kids that especially after she was so nice about it this morning"
No wonder Lauren is terrified to ask her teachers questions - they just might turn around and backfire on her.
So this is how she came out on stage:

Instead of like this
And as far as I am concerned Mrs. Music Teacher CAN walk the plank and take her ego with her.

14 comments:

Grams said...

I second that one!!

Unknown said...

That is just rude! I saw walk the plank! ARGHhhhhhhh

Lori Lavender Luz said...

That teacher may be long overdue for a mutiny.

Blech.

Love the purple beard!

jen@odbt said...

How rude of the teacher. Why are some people teachers when they don't have the compassion?

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Here's another comment. Does my contact info show?

Unknown said...

That was just rude!

Cheryl Lage said...

Ugh. Yo ho ho horrible teacher. So sorry what should have been such a fun experience had that nasty little facet. Thankfully, your daughter is wise...and can see that adults are flawed as well....and clearly, some more so than others! Aaaaaargh, indeed!

Wendy said...

So, will you be having some words with Mrs. Music Teacher? Or do you have more of a gift of self-control than I? Grrr...

Laura said...

I think I would ask her why she didn't tell you personally instead of having a child give you a message she should have given herself.
On the other hand...it's only a few more weeks until summer.
I hope Lauren had fun!

Pam said...

As hard as it would be for me to confront this teacher, I think I agree with Laura. You should ask her why she didn't tell you this directly when you told her you would help Lauren. She should be held accountable for her passive agressive behavior. Force her to face YOU with an explanation. Too bad you have to deal with this teacher for your kids' entire elementary school experience.

Bonnie said...

AAARRRGG!! It makes me sad and angry for Lauren. When I'm in situations like this with my kids I tell myself "This is part of their life journey and they are going to learn something that will help them later in life".

I still think the Music teacher should have to walk the plank!

The boys could

Kim H. said...

Cranky music teachers stink!

Jenni said...

Sheesh! Sounds like Mrs. Music needed to take a deep breathe!

SimplyBillie said...

That is horrible! Maybe someone should talk to the principal about changing up the lead roles?? I doubt it would do any good to talk to the teacher about that. Ridiculous! She looks adorable, though, and I hope she had a wonderful time!