March 3, 2009

What I learned this week

What I learned this week: Hosted by Musings of a Housewife


This weeks lesson came from the playroom floor on Sunday afternoon. Lauren was holding a drawing contest and we were all supposed to enter. Hailey did. I did. Lauren did - but daddy had not entered yet.

Because "he who would rather not be named draws quite well" I decided to ban him from the contest. I told Lauren he couldn't play because he was a too good of a "drawer."

At which point we all glanced at each other. "How do you spell draw-er?, is it a word?"

"it has to be a word, how else do you say someone is a good drawer? You can't possibly have to say they draw well all the time"

If it is drawer then how do you spell drawer as in "desk drawer"

AHHH - the English Language

In comes Dictionary.com (on "his" blackberry, from the floor, in the playroom) and now my friends I will share with you what we learned about the word(s) DRAWER

draw⋅er 

–noun
1. a sliding, lidless, horizontal compartment, as in a piece of furniture, that may be drawn out in order to gain access to it.

2. drawers, (used with a plural verb) an undergarment, with legs, that covers the lower part of the body.

3. a person or thing that draws.

4. Finance. a person who draws an order, draft, or bill of exchange.

5. Metalworking. a person who operates a drawbench.

6. a tapster.

And just because - here it (they) are used in a sentence for further understanding:

Will you please ask the drawer to complete the bill of exchange and put it in the drawer before the drawer behind the bar starts serving beer to the drawer working on my metal sculpture and before you grab your crayons, for goodness sakes, put on your drawers so you can be a good drawer too.

(OK, a bit of a run on but you get the point)

18 comments:

Laura said...

You are funny.
And even though I use the word "drawer," I began to doubt it was actually a word while first reading your post.
Now I learned something too.
Thanks teacher.

Becky said...

Wow - who knew???

jen@odbt said...

Who knew this word had so many definitions? I use the word drawer all the time to refer to my daughter. Oh wait, she likes to be called an artist. Ha.

Tassi said...

That's funny. Good times.

Have a great day.

Kim H. said...

So, who won?.....

Kim H. said...

Oh and I took off my word verification thank.you.very.much.Terra! Now if I get spam I'm blaming you!!! :)

(just kidding)

Bonnie said...

I love it. Looks like we both did a little research this week. Thank for the info on Yanni. I love Yanni. Not sure it was fair to ban Daddy.. but I would have had to do the same thing :)

Oh yea, I would like to know who won too.

Grams said...

Whew!

whoopsadasie said...

That was TOO funny! I loved your sentence using the word "drawer".

When you were done did you drawers put your crayons back in the drawer?

Alicia said...

Awesome! :o)

Courtney said...

hilarious and v. clever I must say...

Jennifer said...

Too funny! I guess, I've never thought about it before...I've learned something too...today.

Melis said...

LOL! this was very entertaining and educational! Thanks! Have a great day :O)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

That is funny! Isn't it weird how some words sound fine when you are saying them but strange when you write them down. Sometimes I have to do a double take and look them up just in case!

Hope you are having a terrific day!

XOXOXO
Jen

Allison said...

Hahahaha!!!! Great post.

Stephanie said...

Hmm, I never thought of this before! Now I learned something!

Musings of a Housewife said...

HUNH. Who knew!? :-)

LOL, I scrolled down to post my comment and saw Becky's.

the mama bird diaries said...

you know when you keep saying a word and it suddenly sounds funny and wrong.

Happening for me right now with "drawer"