March 4, 2009

It's Chic to be Cheap

I read this article on CNN this afternoon and laughed. I laughed at myself not at the article.

I have never been "IN" so to speak.

I am also not exactly known as being "Cheap" but lately I have been trying really hard to pay closer attention to what I spend and saving money when I can.

It didn't necessarily start because of the "recession" but more out of morbid curiosity. I have always had somethings that I just hated paying full price for because the sales prices were so much cheaper.

1. My daughters OJ $5.39 reg and only $1.99 when on sale
2. My husbands Coffee $12.39 reg and only $5.99 on sale
3. Tide Free HE $12.99 reg and $5.99 when on sale.

All of those are LESS than half price when on sale so I would always stock up and wait! Then a couple weeks ago I stumbled on this blog "Saving our Cents" and many more like it where the coupon queens actually do all the work and tell you where and how to get the deals. I was SHOCKED at what they purchase for near pennies and quite frankly saw it as a challenge.

At first it was fun to save money using their deals but I was NO WHERE near the low prices they were paying and that was OK, except I felt compelled to keep trying.

And this morning, before I read the article that made me laugh at myself, I set out to Walgreens armed with coupons and knowledge from Saving our Cents and here is what I got:

2 - packs of 72 paper plates
2 - boxes of 50 zipper bags (not zip lock brand)
2 - bottles of Dawn Dish Soap
1 - Tube Colgate Advantage Toothpaste
3 - 12 packs of Pepsi products

All of these items are things we use A LOT of (especially the soda)

I spent $6.36 but the best part is Walgreens spit out two register rewards from the machine good as cash towards my next visit totalling $6.50

So, depending on how you look at it, I either got my goodies for free or I spent $6.36 and Made $6.50 to spend next time. And you better believe I won't go back without checking the websites first!

So there you have it. I am becoming Cheap and Chic all at the same time!

18 comments:

whoopsadasie said...

You're my kind of cheap chick!!

Courtney said...

this blog will definitely help me live on less. love it! and where did you find Tide that cheap? My poor husband and I have ALL now and keep itching...

Megan said...

Terra

Thanks for the link girl!!! You rock!

Megan

Anonymous said...

Way to go! I am always afraid I will screw up doing that stuff.. I will have to give it a try!

jen@odbt said...

Great shopping bargains! Thanks for the link too. I love to see the "you saved xxx" at the bottom of my receipts.

Cheryl Lage said...

LOVE being cheap! (or thrifty... ;) )

You're an inspiration!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Good for you Terra. I love going on those coupon blogs - but I am also completely baffled by how to do it. They are always talking about double coupons, coupon matching, etc. I am trying to figure all the coupon stuff out.

Let me know if you have any tips!

XOXOXO
Jen

Jenni said...

Wow! You know how to shop, girl!

Becky said...

It's so much fun to find these treasures! Thanks!

Woman Interrupted said...

I love S.O.C.! She is great. And Walgreens is my new best place to shop. Wags does great freebies if you are willing to submit the rebate (online).

Check out Money Saving Mom --she's hard core, too!

Laura said...

I'm trying to figure out if I am cheap or frugal.
I hope I'm frugal.
I LOVE a deal.

Candi said...

wow, that is awesome! I went to Walgreens on Monday with my list. I didn't get any coupon for money back though...bummer!
Thanks for the link, going to check it out now.

Bonnie said...

Love it. I can't wait to check out the web site.. oh, and I would never call you cheap!

Unknown said...

I love those kind of blogs! Ive saved alot from following them. Im a Cheap Chic too-lol

http://www.sixfeetunderblog.com
http://www.reviewingmama2.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

U go girl !! Great job!

Kim H. said...

Around these parts, we call that the "CVS game"....and I LOVE IT!!!

Jen said...

Good for you! I'm impressed!

The Fritz Facts said...

How wonderful! I am always on the look out for new ways to save more and more. I just don't have the dedication yet to pay pretty much nothing for it yet.

I hadn't heard of Saving Our Cents, thanks for the new link!