December 31, 2008

Don’t even consider ignoring this post

It is far too important and I mean it. I had a funny post I was rip roaring ready to post tonight but I am putting that on hold till this weekend for a very important public service announcement. Please do not click away from this post before you finish it.

Earlier this month there was a very tragic accident in Aspen where a family of four all died of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning while they were sleeping. If you are not familiar with this story please go read it here ABC News .

My mother was deeply moved by this story and as a result, immediately ordered Carbon Monoxide detectors for her homes and gave me a couple of her extras. She also informed my brother that he really should get them in his new Mountain Home as well.

Oddly he did, and he did it quickly. He installed his detectors 1 week ago today.

This morning he and his wife were awakened by the high pitched squeal of these detectors. He was dizzy and she had a headache. They opened windows and began making calls.

It was determined that they did in fact have lethal levels of Carbon Monoxide in their new home due to a faulty pump on one of their boilers (this fact may not be 100% I am relaying it from memory and will verify and post a correction tomorrow)

They are working with the company that “fixed” their boiler last week to determine the problem and solve it but in the meantime our family is incredibly thankful that he had the detectors in his home. We could have lost Anna and Brad overnight and that is just not something any of us want to think about.

Nothing in life is coincidence, everything happens for a reason, My mom was moved by the news story – pressed us to install detectors and 1 week later they saved the lives of two very special family members.

SO I say to you, if you are reading this PLEASE stop by Amazon or your local hardware store and buy a bundle of these (or something similar) for your family ASAP.

Brad and Anna – we all love you very much and thank god tonight that you are safe.

10 comments:

Krape Family said...

I am so glad to hear that your family is safe. That story of the family in Aspen was so sad. Jack and I have had CO2 detectors in our homes since as long as I can remember and agree that no home should be without at least one.

Allison said...

Glad to hear that this didn't end in tragedy! We have two in our home. When we lived in NJ, it was required by law, so we had them when we moved to TX. Thanks for the warning...we can always use a reminder like this one! Happy New Year.

PS Please keep my family in your prayers. Last night I got a call from my mom that hospice is with my grandmother 24/7 and that "the end is near". My parents are on their way down from my hometown and we are not sure what the next few days hold!

The Bailey Family said...

Oh...you gave me the goose-bumps. Thank goodness for your mom. I'm checking with Mike to make sure we have C02 detectors. So glad to know your family is safe

Becky said...

OMG! I'm so glad that Anna and Brad are safe! Thanks for this post - it's off to Lowes for detectors for this house!

Bonnie said...

It's quite amazing to think that your Mom's "intuition" or whatever you want to call it most likely saved Brad and Anna's lives. This story gave me chills. I'm so glad everyone is okay. I am going to check into those detectors.

Courtney said...

so happy to hear your family is safe. we have our detector and crazy enough moved a few days ago and forgot to plug it back in. I will be doing so, immediately following this comment! Thanks Terra!

Jenni Jiggety said...

Oh my...thank goodness he had them installed! That is scary!

My husband is al alarm installer prfoessionally so we are all kinds of wired up, here.

Candi said...

WOW, that is crazy. I am glad that everyone was safe! Funny we just talked about this the other day, but I haven't gotten around to buying the detector yet. I am SO going to make sure we do this asap! thanks for sharing the story.

Terra said...

Thanks to everyone for their kind words! I was happy to see how many already have these detectors and really encourage the rest to go grab some. It is creepy how important they can be!

Happy New Year

Kim said...

Wow.. Thank you for posting this.. Thankfully everyone is safe.. Seriously, I am off to get one sometime this week.